Storm Water Information

Storm Water Discharges from Municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems

What is Storm Water?
Storm water runoff is generated when precipitation from rain and snowmelt events flows over land or impervious surfaces and does not percolate into the ground. As the runoff flows over the land, construction sites, or impervious surfaces (paved streets, parking lots, and building rooftops), it accumulates debris, chemicals, sediment or other pollutants that could adversely affect water quality if the runoff is discharged untreated. The primary method to control storm water discharges is the use of best management practices (BMPs). In addition, most storm water discharges are considered point sources and require coverage under an NPDES permit.

Polluted storm water runoff is commonly transported through Municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems (MS4s), from which it is often discharged untreated into local water bodies such as nearby streams, creeks and rivers. To prevent harmful pollutants from being washed or dumped into an MS4, operators must obtain a National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit from the State of Tennessee and develop a storm water management program.

The City of Gatlinburg has adopted a local Storm Water Ordinance as an element of it's program for the purpose of protecting, maintaining, and enhancing the environment of the City by controlling discharges of pollutants to the City's Storm Water System and to enable the City to comply with the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System permit and applicable regulations, 40 CFR Section 122.26 for storm water discharges. The following is a link to the City's Storm Water Ordinance:

Storm Water Ordinance

If you have questions regarding the City's Storm Water Management Regulations, permitting process, or need to report an illicit discharge or unauthorized construction activities in the City of Gatlinburg, please contact Mark Watson at (865) 436-7792 or email Mark Watson.  You can also contact Randy Haynes by phone at (865) 430-1309 or by email - Randy Haynes

Other Helpful Links: