Applying for a Tourist Residency Permit

Applying for a Tourist Residency Permit in the City of Gatlinburg allows individuals to use their property for overnight rentals within the corporate limits, provided the property is zoned properly.

Applicants are required to fill out a permit application, ensure that their property is zoned properly and return the form to Gatlinburg City Hall with the appropriate fee payment. Applications may also be picked up at Gatlinburg City Hall during regular business hours of 8 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. each weekday.

Each application must be properly filled out, including the property owner’s name and contact information, the location and name of the rental unit, numbers of bedrooms and stories of the unit, the maximum number of occupants the unit can hold, and the gross square footage of the unit. The name and contact information for the rental agent must also be placed on the form.

Application fee is $200 for a 2 or less bedroom unit. Each bedroom over two is an additional $75 per bedroom. These fees are to provide the fire and building inspection of the property. These inspections help certify to City visitors that rental properties have been verified safe and sound for their stay.

Applications and the checks may be mailed to the City Of Gatlinburg, Attn: Kathy, P.O. Box 5, Gatlinburg TN 37738. Alternatively, applications may be dropped off at the Finance Department inside Gatlinburg City Hall during regular business hours.

It is the responsibility of each applicant to verify with the City’s Building and Planning Department that their property is properly zoned to allow an overnight rental use prior to returning their application to City Hall. The Building and Planning Department is located on the second floor of City Hall, or they can be reached via telephone at 865-436-7792.