A permit is required for open burning in the City of Gatlinburg. Burning sites must be inspected prior to burning. Permits are granted with the condition listed below:
1. Permits are available 7 days a week from 7:00 AM – 4:30 PM.
2. An adult (over 18 years of age) is present on site during the burn and stays on site until the burn is out.
3. Water or other extinguishing materials must be available on the site.
4. No gasoline, kerosene, diesel fuel, or flammable solids are to be used as an accelerant.
5. All burning must comply with State of Tennessee Air Quality Law, i.e., only untreated wood or wood waste may be burned. The issuance of the permit does not relieve the applicant of the necessity to obtain any required State permits.
6. Complaint(s) may void the permit and require extinguishment.
7. Outside city limits (in the county), call Tennessee State Forestry at (865) 429-7020.
8. Report illegal burning.